Want a hassle-free move? The key is to be organized and plan your move well in advance. We’ve got you covered:
6 Weeks Before:
- Buy moving supplies such as boxes, tape, bubble wrap and other moving essentials.
- Downsize belongings. This will help save money on your move. Sell or donate anything you don’t want to bring into your new house.
- Give your current employer proper notice of your leave.
- Notify current service providers – power, cable, cellphone company, and mail subscriptions to transfer or cancel.
- Start making an inventory of all the items to be moved. This will be helpful for you to have a move accurate moving quotes.
- If you wish to hire a moving company, start contacting them to get quotes and check availability.
- Start packing seldom-used items. It will be much easier to pack each room at a time. Don’t forget to label the boxes!
Two Weeks Before:
- Thoroughly clean your home and make necessary repairs.
- Pack your first night essentials. This includes several changes of clothes, towels, blankets, toys, toiletries, and anything you need immediately upon arrival.
Tip: Photograph your cords. Snap images of the connections on your TV’s, sound system, modem, computer and others so they’re easier to reconnect in your new home.
One Week Before:
- Pay all your outstanding utility bills.
- Get medical records. That includes your pet’s too.
- Set aside your first night essentials, valuables, or any items the movers will not transport.
- Have mail forwarded.
- Consume perishable food items that will not be brought to the new home.
- Stock up on prescriptions you will need in the next couple of weeks.
- Have cash on hand for tipping movers, traveling expenses, and any emergencies.
- Manage and make sure you have everything!
- Clean. Don’t forget to replace the toilet seat!
- Change your locks.
- Set up all utilities in your name and new address.
- Locate the fuse box and water valve.
- Look up new doctors, dentists, child care, and all other necessary services in your new city and transfer all your medical records.
- If you’ve moved out of state, register your vehicles and get a new driver’s license with your new address.
- Why not celebrate and throw a housewarming party! It’s also a nice way to meet your new neighbors.
Ready to make a move? If you have questions feel free to contact an agent at Broadpoint Properties.